Crying to be held

Lydia Jane is a very content baby. In fact, I would have to say I am very spoiled with how easy she can be to soothe or keep happy. However, she does have her moments.

These moments usually occur when I lay her down to change her diaper when she doesn't really feel like being laid down. Sometimes she squeels and coos in delight and enjoyment while I change her diaper. Other times she is screaming and crying. I am not sure what she is thinking in these moments. Is she frustrated? Does she think I am not listenin or I don't care? Is she just down right ticked off that I laid her down when that isn't what she wanted? Is she sad? I don't know if I'll ever know the real reason. It is probably a different one each time she gets this way. All I know is that after I speedily snap her onesie and pull up her bottoms, I scoop her up in my arms and all is well again.

I can't lie. It feels pretty good to have her "fix all" be resting in my arms.

Yesterday when this happened I said to her with a kiss on the head "Goodness Lydia, all of those tears and all that fuss just to be held." And then I thought to myself, 'goodness, who hasn't had a good cry just begging to be held?' A million images flooded my brain of times spent sitting in the middle of the floor holding a good friend in tears, being held myself, crying alone, being broken hearted, crying out to God to just reach out and hold me or someone I love. All this to say, it made me thankful that God designed us to be relational. To need Him. To need others. To just need to be held sometimes.

When I hold Lydia close to me and all her tears cease and I know she is deeply comforted and genuinely happy to be there in my arms, I realize that I have a tiny glimpse of how satisfying it is to our Heavenly Father when we fall into His embrace and let resting in His arms be more than enough. The Father must feel so loved and honored when we do this. At least I hope He does. Because when Lydia just wants me so much that the only thing to stop her tears is to be held by me, well, I feel like the most loved person in the whole world.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts