Genesis 3:16

Last week I got to talk to a good friend who I don't get to connect with very often. I was delighted to find she shared a desire with me. Despite people's gasps in disbelief, I truly wanted to feel the pain of child birth & honestly I truly loved the whole process of it, no matter how painful. There are a dozen reasons why I wanted to experience natural child birth, but one reason that surprises most people is this:

I wanted to experience real, honest-to-goodness, painful child bearing because God intended for me to experience it.

Genesis 3:16 To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children..."


Let's just say, God wasn't kidding. It is incredibly painful. Hands down the most physically painful thing I have ever experienced. But hands down the most rewarding, too. Even in God's consequence he administered grace. When a woman gives birth that is the highest her oxytocin level will ever be. Oxytocin is sometimes referred to as the "cuddle hormone" and it is also released with an orgasm. Sorry folks, it's the truth. Point being, it is a feel good, happy hormone. And the most a woman will ever get of it is in child bearing and the most a man will ever get of it is when he is born. Aint it good to be a woman?

All that to say the point is: I am a sinner and in my mind a consequence of sin is pain in child birth. I'm no better than Eve so I couldn't pin it all on her and I wanted to hold up my end. So bring it on oh pains of child birth, I'm still going to do it again and again and again.... and again?

*Disclaimer: I do not expect every woman to feel the same as I do. Nor do I have any criticism for women who choose to use pain reducing methods in labor. It is understandable. So just for the record I do not think I am better than anyone. I am serious about wanting to experience the pains of child birth, but the "super woman" attitude in the blog was for the sake of humor. :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts